Saturday, January 10, 2009

Not adding up

The government are planning to subsidise internships for new graduates struggling to find work due to the credit crunch.  Graduates will be given work experience by large companies in order to gain skills and experience, and in return will receive a 'pay deal' slightly above the current grant rate of £2835 to ensure they don't suffer a cut in income.  This sounds like an interesting plan but not thought through.

Students live on a combination of grants and loans, but many also work - both part time jobs and working for four months or so in the summer.  Without that extra income, they would struggle to survive.

And that's living as a student.  As students, my friends and I revelled in our cheap lifestyle - one of our favourite nights out was 'Free to Dance' at the student union.  It was free.  We danced.  And we drank tap water from behind the bar.  Being poor is part of student culture.  Working requires some money - for clothes for work, and transport to and from work.  It's not cheap.

And then, why would you anyway?  I know jobs are scarce, but if I had a choice between work experience at under £3000 and a normal job at around £12000, I know what I would choose.  In some ways I regret not experiencing a graduate job, but I've started in an entry-level job, using some of the skills I got while I was a student, and am working my way up through my career - and getting more than £3000 a year.

I just don't see this taking off. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It works in the media. Loads of graduates work for free or for expenses to get something to put on their CVs. I normally say it's exploitation, or a way of keeping the media middle class. But they do get them queuing up for it.

Sarah said...

But as a general plan for encouraging employment it's rubbish. It will only work for people who can be supported by their parents - and the people who need the help are the ones who don't have that support.

Sarah said...

Clearly some people do: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7822125.stm