Saturday, October 15, 2005

Gender (2)

I've been doing some reading about gender today. It was about how the world is masculinised - socially set up so that masculinity is considered superior to femininity and that masculinity is considered to be the norm. One thing it talked about is how this is used to exert social control: the idea that men are naturally aggressive and sexually demanding ind women are passive is used to excuse male rape behaviour (the 'she was asking for it by wearing a short skirt' defence). So women alter their behaviour to accommodate this by being careful about what they wear and about going out alone at night.

I had to go to the shop to buy some soy sauce for tea tonight, at about 9 o'clock. There was a weird man came and stood behind me in the queue. We were near a fireworks display. The conversation went like this...

Him: My cat hates fireworks. Do you have a cat?

Me: No, I don't really like them.

Him: Do you have a dog?

Me: My parents used to. But she dies.

Him: Oh, what sort?

Me: A mongrel.

He then proceeded to tell me that when he used to live in Ireland he used to shoot mongrels before he went foxhunting. This was when I started to think he was a bit odd. Then he said his dogs hated everyone, especially babies, and didn't I think it was nice when dogs attacked children? And that cats hate children too and kill them in a really evil way, sitting on their face and suffocating them.

I was so frightened. All the way through he was standing so close to me that he was touching me and he kept breathing on me really hard. And I kept talking to him because I was afraid that he might become aggressive if I didn't. And when I left the shop I ran as fast as I could to get home, because I was scared that he might attack me and possibly rape me.

I don't think all men are rapists, or that all men have the potential to be, or are evil. But I don't know many men who have run all the way home from a shop because they are scared of being attacked by someone in the queue.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

god...your okay though aren't you? and thats the important thing. i mean, he might have just been a bit wierd (well he WAS a bit wierd. very in fact). but you probably did the right thing. love you, tracy

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah. Is your local shop a nice place? If so - talk to the regular staff there, let them know that you think he's a bit creepy

They probrably se him on a regular basis as well, and possibly have an ID for him (credit/debit cards, that sort of thing) - if he does cross the line they'll be well placed to do something about it - shop cctv, local police support etc.

As for running home - it does happen to us, but you're right, not noearly as often and as easily as it can happen to you.

Of course, cats are evil. Just not baby-killing evil, more of a world-domination evil bent.

So, how's life down in Manchester, and hows Matt doing? Missed Greenbelt this year as I was working on a show in Blackpool, feels like there's a GB shaped hole now ;) How'd it go??

Sarah said...

I'm fine. though I was a bit frightened when I went to sleep last night.

It's not a nice corner shop like Mr Azaars, unfortunately, it's a chain shop. I think I might go and speak to them - there's usually lots of policement cycling round here as well so if I see one I'll mention it to them. It's not that I expect him to be arrested but in case other people have been frightened.

Manchester is good. Matt's enjoying paramedicing, although Agenda for Change (pay-and-condition-restructuring) is a pain in the arse. Greenbelt was ace, but tiring. I'm meeting up with my team in a couple of weeks and looking forward to that.

Anonymous said...

where can i get more info?

Anonymous said...

can i get more info?