Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Decisions, decisions (pretty shoes)

I need to buy a pair of trainers. I have some Doc Martens which hurt my feet. I'm not sure if they're the wrong size or a bit weird but they really hurt my feet.

I've been shopping twice to try to buy some and still not succeeded. I left yesterdy because the alternative was to lie on the floor of the shop and cry.

Finally I realise why I can't buy any trainers. I haven't made a decision about everyday footwear for 10 years. This is because my standard procedure has been to find a shop that sells Dr Martens, buy a pair of black size 8 8-hole boots and put them on. I then wear them til the sole wears out and repeat the procedure.

Black Dr Marten boots are non-statement footwear. They don't look like anything. Trainers look like something. You have to choose a colour and a style. If you get that far, they won't have it in your size.

Looks like I'm consigned to more sore feet. If I were rich I would paysomeone to do my shopping for me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forget Dm's and trainers, get army boots. Comfy, come in any colour (as long as it is black) and last for ages.

Sarah said...

But I don't want army boots.

Ruth said...

I recently bought some trainers from Asda for £3. I am not renown for my stylish apparel but they've not fallen apart and I haven't noticed too many raised eyebrows amongst the school-run-mums. Just think, for £3 you can forget boring old shoe-shopping and think of something exciting to do with the change - like buy a book, a DVD or something yummy (not from Asda!) I much prefer shopping for books, DVDs and food than shopping for clothes - and it shows, I'm afraid.

Fat Roland said...

Get trainers, Sarah. Trainers will look good on you. Red and white ones. Seriously.

Ruth, you may be "shabbily dressed and mountain-loving" (loving your blogger profile) but I approve of £3 trainers. Not very good for mountains though, surely?

Trainer pride, woo!

Sarah said...

I have red and white ones, but they are for running - they're special running trainers. They make me look like Sonic the Hedgehog.

I went shopping with Ruthie today and helped her to buy the most beautiful dress ever. Ruthie is very beautiful so its not hard for her to look good, but this dress really suits her. So she's going to return the favour and help me to buy some trainers.

I'm too tired to think about whether I'm being materialistic in wanting trainers that make me feel like I look nice. I do have some thoughts on this though.

Ruth said...

This comment has nothing to do with trainers but I just wanted to say:
Fat Roland - thank you for your comment about my blog profile - I've just looked at your profile and it amused me no end - thank you for the giggles!
Sarah - I used to study in Manchester. I did my degree there 1986 -1989. Reading some of your ealier posts on the Union etc. has really brought back some fond and funny memories for me. I spent many an hour there - in the bar mostly! Of course, I was at university during Thatcher's reign - we had so much to go at - so many marches and campaigns. We used to have a great 70s night in what was then called "The Cellar" every Thursday night. Can't beat Manchester for pubs and clubs. London was a grave disappointment to me when I arrived here.

I could go on for hours here - asking whether my old haunts still survive - But I must go and read bedtime stories now.

Give my love to Manchester.

Ruth

JoeyD said...

I think you should get trainers that make you look nice. You are beautiful and beauriful trainers you should have.

Sarah said...

I think the cellar still exists. Or at least there's a sign for it, anyway.

I don't go to the union much. I did think student life would be quite different to how it is. I think there's a lesson for me to learn!