Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A few tears

I have just put my beautiful wedding dress in a box to post it to the Oxfam bridal department in Bradford.

I got married on 27th July 2002. I have never felt or looked so beautiful in my life and I can't imagine I ever will again. And, to be honest, I don't think I really want to.

I never wanted to keep my wedding dress - it seems a waste for it to slowly decompose in a wardrobe or in my attic. It is so beautiful and special that someone else should get to wear it.

But...

Most charity shops have wedding dresses that were made in 1985 and look horrible. It's too beautiful to be in a shop with them.

I couldn't put it on e-bay because most wedding dresses there sell for about £50 and it is too precious and valuable to sell it for that little.

As we're moving again, this seems an ideal time to pass it on. So I'm giving it to Oxfam, who have a bridal department in Bradford. I like Oxfam - I like the variety and quality of the work they do - and their charity shops usually seem slightly nicer than most. And, as I'm posting it, I can imagine it is in a beautiful bridal department, with a whole host of other beautiful wedding dresses, in the company it deserves.

While I never wanted to keep it, I am sad to see it go. And yes, I did cry a little as I shut the lid.

5 comments:

Merlin said...

No jokes. Brave for doing it, brave for sharing, thank you

Fat Roland said...

I'm quite moved. Wow.

It's my cat's birthday on July 27th. She would have been 13 on the day you married. Can she join you for your anniversary celebrations this month?

Sarah said...

She can, as Matt is working and I need someone to spend the evening with.

Ephrael said...

I'm happy you've found somewhere satisfying for it to go.
But I honestly don't think who ever wears it next could possibly look as happy as you did.

Sarah said...

At least whoever wears it next won't have lipstick on it.

Unless they are foolish enough to let you hold it.