Monday, August 13, 2007

Bastards!

I was mugged last night. Walking home from the station in the pouring rain, someone grabbed my arm. I screamed and felt my bag pulled out of my hand, so I turned round and saw a man running away with it. I shouted "stop thief!" (being, as I was, in a 1950s cop film) and chased him shouting "give me back my bag, you bastard!". He jumped in a car which was waiting with its engine running, and they drove away.

I am lucky: I wasn't hurt, they didn't get my keys or phone or my mp3 player. They took my purse so I've had to cancel my bank cards, and they've got a load of other useful and sentimentally valuable things. They've got a very nice bag. They've got my Manchester A-Z. They've taken the job application I was working on. And they've taken my sense of safety. I am fairly safety-conscious when walking about but it was a main-ish road and it wasn't that late or that dark. I'm not prepared to live in fear of crime, but I am quite shaken.

And having a bit of a bad week of it too. Last Wednesday I went out for drinks in Manchester with some friends. While walking to the bus stop a man tried to get me into his car - not by force but by claiming to be a taxi. Having been brought up to be aware of Stranger Danger, I said no, but I still felt intimidated on a dark and empty street but a man driving alongside me in a car. I told some police officers who said it is a bit problem. Unfortunately I couldn't remember the numberplate. But it makes me appreciate Nexus, which runs a night cafe offering coffee and safe, legal taxis.

I'm not saying Manchester is a dangerous place to live, just that some people are bastards.

8 comments:

LauraHD said...

Ah hon - hope you're ok, must have shaken you. Hope to see you sometime soon... and great news about the new house! ;-)

Merlin said...

Heart felt sympathy Squeak. I remmeber coming home to my parents house when they were on holiday and I was suppose to be looking after it and it had been burgled (great job I did, hey!). They lived in the middle of nowhere- welsh valley, half mile to the neighbour etc - so it doesn't matter where you are. It shakes you and takes a while to get over. The main thing is that you weren't hurt (good sense of priorities, mp3 player coming fourth). Mmm. now thinking, flat mate was mugged in Glasgow, parents house broken in to, my car stolen between Christmas and New Year - perhaps it's me.

Seriously, glad you are OK. See you soon.

Mary Beth said...

How frightening! I'm glad you're safe!

Fat Roland said...

BASTARDS.

I usually leave a wisecrack, but I actually mean that.

BASTARDS.

Sarah said...

Feeling better. And someone found my bag and returned it. It does smell of wee but it has most of my stuff in it, including my purse. I don't know whether I'll keep it, but I feel glad that I have it and not them.

Thank you for all your good wishes - I feel loved...

Merlin said...

But did it smell of wee before?

1 i z said...

Bastards indeed.

Glad you weren't hurt and that you're starting to feel a little better.

Also glad the gits got away with relatively little for their 'efforts'.

Take it easy hun.

Sarah said...

Yes, I often wee on my belongings so I can identify them easily when I'm out.