Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Greenbelt '07

I'm back from Greenbelt! This has definitely been my favourite Greenbelt ever – much better without a broken leg!

I work as a support steward. We start at 7 pm (ish) and finish at 3 am (ish). We help other stewarding teams when they need it, we wander round and talk to Greenbelters, we look for lost children, and do anything else we're asked to do to make Greenbelt a safe and pleasant place to be.

I love being part of the support team – we work together every year and meet up between Greenbelts so we do know each other well. It's a varied and interesting job, and more challenging than a lot of stewarding roles. Other stewards seem to appreciate us as we help them out with managing difficult situations and talk to them when they're bored on a gate somewhere. I feel like when I'm stewarding, I'm most like me, and most happy.

I've reflected a lot on what I like and don't like about my job this year. I like the first half of the evening best – we help out with venues and queues and talk to Greenbelters more. The second half seems to be more security-ish – looking for people who are trying to get into Greenbelt who shouldn't, or people who are causing trouble somewhere. I'm not so keen on it – partly because I have less experience of it and partly because I'm not sure what I'd do with people if I did catch them...

There were some highlights this year. I helped Venues stewards manage a huge queue for a small circus venue which was due to go in at the same time as a singing event in the organic beer tent was due to kick out – through the circus queue... I also helped to manage the queue for the Delirious signing – only 40 people or so turned up but it was fun anyway. And we went as a team to the Site Stewards' team briefing to heckle Stuart Traffic – I think we enjoyed it more than he did... Sanctus1, the church I'm part of, led the main communion service. I sat in the arena stage. We all released helium balloons – we all watched as ours rose into the sky, and then a second wave of balloons from main stare reminded us that, although we were at two venues with a different feel, we were still at once service. It was magical.

Greenbelt also sees me at my worst. I'm not a morning person. But when I'm woken up by a load of famillies going to a worship event after about 5 hours sleep, I can be a bit irritable. And sometimes, inadvisably, I might express that irritation. Equally, asking a 12-year-old if he was a horse because he was crossing the race track might not have been the best attempt at communication I have ever made (yes, we learnt about sarcasm at basic training. Yes, I've got my name down for re-training next year).

And at my drunkest. This year I discovered I like cider. Stories differ on how much I drunk, but I think it's fair to say that it was probably more than I should have had. At least I'm a happy drunk – between my morning irritability (“I hate you all”) and my drunken ramblings (“You do know that I love you, don't you?” - yes, I am embarrassed) I probably equate to a pleasant human being. I did fall off the pub bench of my own accord once, but I was definitely pushed the rest of the time... I have never been sick in a portaloo before and think I'm probably lucky I don't remember much about it. But I am definitely lucky to have to good friends I do who took me to the toilet, to my tent, put a duvet over me and stayed up to make sure I was ok. It's friends like these that make Greenbelt what it is.

5 comments:

Merlin said...

And I wasn't going to mention the cider. Ah well.

You had a lot of compliments about the Delirious queue. Not because it was long but because people knew that they didn't have to worry about it and could simply tick it off as under control.

As to the security bit, I believe that you are good at that as well, because what you do is talk to people. Security for Greenbelt is not catching people and throwing them in jail. It is making sure inappropriate people are not oin site and making sure that other peoples high jinx don't get out of hand.

But I also hope that I might be able to arrange some Advanced training this year, and that would be worth both the Support team and the Nights team coming to.

Sarah said...

I would love to come to some advanced training. I've been scared of the helicopter field because I had a bad experience with some cars a few years ago. This year it was fine because I did it with some people who knew what they were doing so I'm not scared any more. Not that I'm suggesting you need to think of worse places to threaten to send me to.

With the other stuff I'm nervous about, I think it would help to know what I'm supposed to do when I get to them - see what sort of situations might come up and how people handle them.

I think I've felt more confident this year because of what I've been doing in my work - I deal with some unpleasant people and need to be more assertive, so it has helped me. Not that Greenbelters are unpleasant.

I'm pleased to know people liked my queue. To be honest, it wouldn't have been more exciting for being longer - it's only at the start that it's fun, and if you have to turn corners. We'd just have been ushering people in for longer :)

I am SO missing Greenbelt! Nice to have a bed to sleep in though!

9/10ths Full of Penguins said...

Only 40 people in the delirious signing queue! That has made me chuckle...

Glad you had a good greenbelt.

Sarah said...

Admittedly the Delirious signing was only agreed at about 3 pm that day. Had it been after the gig, I suspect it would have been heavenly chaotic!

I had a fantastic Greenbelt and now have post greenbelt blues. People at work kept asking me if I had a good time and I kept wanting to cry. It just takes me a few days to get over it...

RedHillian said...

I miss Greenbelt in many ways, and I keep thinking about between coming back again (probrably back to Nights, but maybe to Support) but for the moment I'm sticking where I am - First Aid cover at the Gathering, which is great fun and costs me less than Greenbelt ever did.

At the moment it's a circle of friends that's holding me to the Gathering, but if things change, maybe I'll come back to GB.