Saturday, August 29, 2009

Things I'm not sad to be missing

This is my second-worst August bank holiday for about 9 years. This is because I'm not at Greenbelt, my favourite festival in all the world. Normally I steward, and I love it. This year I am not stewarding, due to being 5 months pregnant, which means I need to go to bed at a reasonable time and get tired after walking for about 10 minutes. This is not conducive to being part of a team who spend the hours between 7pm and 3am walking round Cheltenham racecourse.

However, my worst August bank holiday was about 3 years ago, when I went to Greenbelt but didn't steward due to having a broken leg. I spent the weekend feeling miserable at missing out on the stewarding fun. I decided not to risk that this year. Instead I am staying at home, going to a wedding and watching ER. We might go and look at cots tomorrow. I feel like I've made the right choice but I do still feel sad and am missing my friends and stewarding. I'm already trying to work out how to manage to steward next year while having an 8-month-old baby.

I am fortunate to be kept up-to-date with what is going on at Greenbelt by text message and Merlin's blog. Which does remind me of some of the things I'm not missing - sweeping the campsite for intruders in the early hours of the morning being one of them!

4 comments:

Merlin said...

If I remember corrctly, you didn't do the sweep last year, you guarded the golf buggies.

Sarah said...

It's a team effort - I like to think I was contributing to the sweep. Without actually sweeping.

Fat Roland said...

I did see a man with a safety jacket with MERLIN emblazoned on the back. I assume that was Merlin. He was with someone called TOSSY or POOFACE or FLAPSOCKS or something.

1 i z said...

You were missed. Though you probably made the right choice given your extra 'baggage' this year ;-)

I just worry that no one was guarding the golf buggies on Friday night...

Take care and say hi to spoon face from me ;-)