Thursday, September 29, 2005

German? I don't think so...

I have just discovered that I don't believe in German. My apologies to all speakers of the language. Reading New Statesman, there was an article about the current election stuff, accompanied by a photo of a woman cycling past some billboards with the faces of Angela Merkel and Schroder on them. I tried to read what they said then realised they were written in German. Which seemed quite odd to me. Deep inside, I believe that everyone speaks English. I know, I know. They don't. And I'm not xenephobic. Just a bit weird.

University has started. But not to great success. On the university's side, a lot of induction things have been cancelled. Or the programme director hasn't turned up. Monday morning this week I went in for something at9.30 only to be told it wasn't happening. Great! Due to sleeping over at a friend's house on Saturday night (and sleeping badly) and then watching all three extended Lord of the Rings films (12 hours of Tolkien goodness) I could have done with more sleep on Monday morning.

On my side, however, I thought lectures were starting next week. Only to find out that actually they started this week and I missed my lectures. How stupid do I feel? And gutted too. I am nervous about starting studying again and I was really looking forward to lectures starting and going to the first ones to find out how this whole MA thing was going to work. To have missed it through my own stupidity (just why did I think that my school, alone out of the whole university, was starting a week later than everyone else? Partly because we had a two week induction programme. But that doesn't reallye xcuse my stupidity) is pretty annoying. So I've got quite a lot of reading to do to catch up. I'm sure, in terms of a two-year programme, missing one week won't matter that much. I hope not.

No comments: