Thursday, March 30, 2006

From parsnips to imperialism

Yes, it's essay time again. This time I'm considering whether we should be studying imperialism rather than globalisation. This is a fair question because we do talk about gloablisation quite a lot and people are starting to talk about imperialism again.

At the moment, my answer is something like this: Neoliberal globalisaiton is about western states, notably the US, trying to make the rest of the world be the way they want them to be. This is imperialistic. Globalisation is a fairly neutral term and also is used in a way that implies that it is natural and just happens. Imperialism makes clear the motives of the global powers to make the world the way they want it to be. However, globalisation isn't all bad - the effects of it open the world up. It also allows us to consider the world as a whole. So imperialistic globalisation is bad but globalisation shouldn't be written off altogether.

Or something

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I always use an 's'. Just my little stand against imperialism.

I'm surrently trying to work out whether I think imperialism is a part of globalisation or whether globalisaiton is a type of imperialism.

I really didn't post a 5.44am. I think my blog-clock is confused.

JoeyD said...

I love parsnips and i like the cartoon drawing. I also like and love you.

Senor Dunc said...

The "how much do I love other people's comments" run-down for this post:

rachel(1) - 4/10
sarah - 6/10
rachel(2) - 6/10
joeyd - ***10/10***

nice work Joeyd. Rachel - could do better.

JoeyD said...

Cheers dunc. Dunc, i realise i have met you before. I met you once at mine and sarah and rach's house in preston and once at rach's wedding. I didn't realise this until sarah revealed to me your identity.

Sarah said...

I would like to advise you all against reading 'Empire' by Hardt and Negri. It is incomprehensible and hurts my head.