Monday, March 06, 2006

Hello March!

I managed to miss pancake day and St David's day. Apparently we're a fifth of the way through March already. One day I'm going to wake up and discover I'm dead and be really confused. "Where did my life go? Wasn't I 26 only a few days ago?" I'll be asking. Here are a few places the time went.

1. Soundcheck. When working 18-hour days stewarding, you would think life would feel longer. But it all blurs into one long episode of walking between building and worrying that you've forgotten soemthing crucial. I lost 3lbs doing it, so there's something.

2. Sleeping

3. Trying to fit 3 days of studying into a day and a half while knackered

4. Going to Belfast for a BEAUTIFUL wedding. Creative, individual, romantic, moving, and there was snow (to make up for being asked not to throw confetti, I imagine). I hoped to be snowed into Belfast Castle, but it didn't happen.

5. Being scared on planes. I don't fly too much as I've heard it has a deleterious effect on the environment. However, there's this stretch of water between us and Northern Ireland and the ferry is expensive and takes forever. I had forgotten how much I hate take-off. It feels so precarious. And then you're in the sky. It just seems wrong to me to be above the clouds. I can feel this huge big drop underneath me. And all that's keeping us up is a couple of wings that looked pretty wobbly to me. There's believing in physics and then there's taking your life into your hands. I'd prefer to believe we're kept up there by magic. On the way home I was too tired and I cried (quietly and to myself, you'll be impressed to hear) all the way through take-off. While landing feels like it should be more dangerous, by that time I've got used to being airbourne and started to trust that the wings won't fall off. On the way out, we sat over the wings for extra legroom and were very excited to get special training (reading a card) on what to do in case of a crash - take the door off and throw it out of the hole left by door removal. If anyone would like training, I can do a re-enactment of what we red, so you're prepared for any emergency exits you might need to make.

The good thing about time going is that soon we'll put the clocks forward and it will be light nearly 24 hours a day!!!!!!

10 comments:

Fat Roland said...

Belfast was beautiful.

I find that if you are nervous about a plane trip, it helps to walk around the plane and attack the wings with hammers. It reduced the uncertainty of whether the wings will fall off or not. (If attacked with hammers, they will. Definitely.)

Here's a cat and a hammer.
http://snipurl.com/catvshammer

Anonymous said...

I was quite excited about the idea of ripping a hole in the side of the plane and jumping out onto the wing in a dramatic fashion.

I nearly did it mid flight to see what would happen.

But the really funny thing is that planes do infact work by magic. The wings were just put on to convince the unbelievers!

dan said...

nice use of 'deleterious'.

Sarah said...

Thanks!

Apparently the rivets that hold plane wings on are called chicken rivets - they don't do anything other than make people feel that the plane is safe. Obviously, this only works if you don't know that.

Senor Dunc said...

Worried about screwing up our beautiful planet as you glide through the skies in an unsafe(?) tin can? Check out http://www.climatecare.org. Here you can calculate how much money you should donate to charity to offset the environmental impact of your flights.

So your return flight to Belfast cost the environment a very meagre £1.06 to fix. Get donating now Sarah...

(and for your info, no I'm not going to donate money to cover my round-the-world flights. I figure the environmental impact of my flights will pay for themselves in the amount of good deeds I do for strangers around the globe)

Senor Dunc said...

oh, and fyi, my trip is going to cost £48.83. I'm sure it should be more than...

JoeyD said...

I was just gonna ask, what does deleterious mean? has it got anything to do with the word 'delete'?

Sarah said...

According to Wiktionary, deleterious means:

hurtful; noxious; destructive; pernicious; as, a deleterious plant or quality; a deleterious example.

Pernicious is another good word...

I'm not entirely convinced by carbon offsetting, to be honest. I need to look into it more, but I'm not sure how £1.06 could make up for all that carbon and I think it makes people feel like it's OK to do all that travelling and driving and what-not as long as you pay a little to make up for it. I'm much keener on carbon rationing, though it would have to be done in a way which prevents it hurting the poor most.

Anonymous said...

You could just hand everyone some pencils and say, "that's it folks, no more carbon for you"

All the school kods would be like, wow I've got some currency here, and sell em off as an excuse not to do homework.

People all over the world would be in a conundrum, do I fly to my conference or write my speech. Of course you'd have to ban other forms of writing for this method to work.

Sarah said...

Selling your pencil is not an excuse for not doing your homework. They could all go back ot little blackboards and chalk.