Sunday, November 12, 2006

Driving in my car

When I was 17 I had driving lessons for about 9 months, which seemed to be largely successful. On my instructor's suggestion I put in for my test. Then he retired on medical grounds and I tried two other driving instructors who said that there was no way I was taking the test in their car because I was too dangerous.

I had about 6 lessons in my second year of uni but did't get any further than that.

Yesterday I had my first driving lesson for my third attempt - hopefully this time I will get to taking a test! I would like to be able to drivie so that I can get promoted at work, contribute to the annual drive to Skye with Matt and Hil and argue with Matt about who gets to drink.

It was a bit scary trying to do things like get out of junctions. I had a hairy moment when I realised the road wasn't going where I expected it to, turned, turned back, panicked and stopped in the middle of a junction. But mostly I think I did quite well. Lots to work on, but I think that for a first go, I did pretty well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Driving is fun. The not drinking part isn't though...

Wait until you get to the hazard awareness test. That's a big video game where you have to click the mouse a lot...

The trick for passing the theory test is to remember the answer is nearly always 'stop' or 'slow down' (there are no questions like 'someone is chasing after you with a machine gun, what do you do?' to trip you up or anything).

Anonymous said...

Well done taking it up again S. Just make sure you stay out of Northampton until you pass the test.

Fat Roland said...

I wish you every success.

I also had lessons but didn't do a test. My abiding memory of driving lessons can be summed up in one phrase, said very calmly by my very calm instructor on Barlow Moor Road once:

"Did you not see the ambulance?"

[Shudders]

Anonymous said...

just remeber this simple advice:

you are always correct on the road. even if other people don't see it that way. and those other people are idiots just getting in the way!