Friday, March 23, 2007

Moving on?

I'm considering applying for a new job.

I love my job. I work with lots of people I really like. I like the company I work for. I can walk to work from my house. The job I am thinking of applying for is about 35 miles of vile commuting away. What am I thinking of???

Well, I'm happiest doing my job when the person I work with is away and I'm in charge. I really want my own area of houses to manage. And the trouble is that my company is pretty stagnant. You have to wait for someone to get pregnant to get a promotion. There's nowhere for anyone to go and no-one want to leave because it's such a good place to work. And there are so many people who are more experienced than me doing the same job as me. So I could have quite a wait.

It also pays about £7,000 a year more. This is an attraction, I will admit. I think that for what I'm expected to do (inspect fences, advise on welfare benefits, decide whether trees are dangerous, resolve neighbour disputes, understand and apply a myriad of policies and procedures, explain tenancy agreements) I am pretty badly paid - I could get the same money doing an admin job in a university.

Like I said, I love my job - pretty much everything about it. But I am ambitious and I want to do bigger things and have more responsibility. Do you think six months is a bit too early to think about moving on?

7 comments:

Fat Roland said...

*Sighs*

We should employ each other to work for ourselves.

Myn said...

I think six months is enough time to show prospective employers that you've picked up experience. Plus, you have good reason to move on and up.
I think three months is too small an amount of time (that's how long it took our office junior to decide to leave) but six months seems ok.

Ruth said...

I agree with Myn (and I'm sure Fat Roland has a point too!!). It's not about how long you've been in a post, but what you've learned whilst there that matters - and you've learned that you thrive on taking more responsiblity. Go for it! (As we used to say in the '80s.....!! Gawd I'm old)

JoeyD said...

Hi snolan, I thynk syx munths iz ohkay, yu r destinned for byga and betta thyngz! iym experymenting wyth dyffrent sortz ov spellyng.

Sarah said...

Thks Zhoiydee. And also for your innovative spelling.

I decided not to apply for it because, after going on holiday, I didn't really have time to do the application form well (I thought I could email it but turns out not) and I have learnt that if you can't do an application well, there's probably really no point in doing it at all.

Also, I get irritated enough by commuting the distance from my house to work (about 20 minutes walking) and realised I really DON'T want to drive ot Chorley every day!

However, I have started looking for jobs again...

Ruth said...

... all of which brings me to my second point. I refrained from saying this in my first comment as I wanted to be totally encouraging and not sound like 'my mum' - but 'make sure you don't go out of the frying pan....' I left a wonderful job because there were no prospects for promotion (only if someone died, basically) and hated the place I ended up in - even though it was a promotion. Upon reflection I think that I should have decided upon 4 or 5 essential things that I wanted from a job and not taken a job unless it satisfied each and every one of those things.

Ho hum.

Anonymous said...

i'm different million people from the day to the next to the next....

quoted admitedly, but if you are happy in your job then not looking for other employment is probably for the best!