Monday, March 12, 2007

Things I have learnt by driving

  1. I have realised that the world is scuppered. Really, no-one is going to give up their car. Really. Car=freedom. I can go anywhere and, by extension, do anything.
  2. Join Fat Roland's's F1 Losers League now. Put together the worst ever Formula 1 team and you could win some money. And, more to the point, the respect of the motoring world. Yes, even Jeremy Clarkson. I won last year. Science has not yet explained how.
  3. I drove to Sheffield this weekend, there over the Woodhead Pass and back over he Snake Pass. Neither were as scary as getting lost in Sheffield's steep, narrow, crowded back streets. I now have an A-Z of Sheffield.
  4. Some people are -insert choice expletive-. Today, I was driving home. I got to a narrow bridge where I have to give way to oncoming traffic. I thought I'd seen someone coming so waited. No-one appeared so I started going over the hill. Mr Dickhead starts speeding over the bridge towards me. I stop and start getting ready to reverse. He starts flashing his headlights at me and then, when I don't move quickly enough for him, starts giving me the 'wanker' hand signal. Instead of turning my engine off, getting out and punching him, I reversed out of his way. Next time he might not be so lucky.
  5. Driving makes me swear more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

#1 rule - everyone is trying to kill you.
#2 rule - motorcyclists are trying to kill themselves as well

Remember those and you're fine.. and don't take the bad drivers personally.. they really don't care who they crash into.

(probably on the bridge I'd have kept going.. he'd have to have stopped to let you through anyway).

Merlin said...

Welcome to the world of driving.

Ruth said...

I had to take some time off driving recently following a road-rage incident in a car park (I mean I decided to take some time off - I wasn't banned or anything...). I'm normally very placid and polite and open doors for people and everything, but 7 years of London driving has done something to me, and I found myself winding my car window down and shouting at a driver who had tried but failed to pull out in front of me, and then sounded her horn. She told me to chill out, shook her head and wound her window up so she couldn't hear me any more. I'd been getting increasingly openly narked with bad drivers (having engaged in another minor on-the-road battle only the week previously) and decided it was time to take some time off. Now I just let them go. I don't engage any more.

Sarah said...

I get quite frustrated because I am still a bit nervous about judging the spped of traffic, for example coming onto a roundabout or trying to turn right out of a junction. I get frustrated with myself and by having a big queue of drivers sitting behind me - probably thinking how incompetent I am...