Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Watching, reading, listening

Watching... I just watched Brokeback Mountain. I think I would have got on better had I been able to understand what people were saying, if they didn't mumble all the time. I'm not sure what to take away from it: don't be gay in 1963; life is better if you go with the person that you love; it's better to have loved than just settle for second-best? I feel like there's something deeper but I can't put my finger on it - something about tragedy and hope - maybe it's because I have a chest infection, or maybe the film was just too damn deep for me.

Reading... The Night Watch by Sarah Waters. The first time I read it I had vivid dreams about being in a war. It is beautifully written and very clever, starting in 1947 (or something like that) and working backwards in 3 parts, and there are loads of things you pick up a hint of in an earlier (chronologicaaly later) section and then find out later. I'm trying to decide whether it stands a second reading when you already know what the twists are.

Listening... The first album I ever bought was So far, so good by Bran Adams, a 'best of' in the early-to-mid 90s. It was on tape, the tape went wobbly, a friend did me a copy, the copy went wobbly. I saw Anthology, a two disk* retrospective, and thought it might be a good replacement. Thank you, Mr Adams, all the old stuff, which is cheesy but good, is on the first disc** The newer stuff, which is cheesy in the worsst possible sense, is on the second disck. Saves trying to skip tracks while driving. However, as the first diskc is pretty much So Far, So Good, perhaps I would have been better just replacing my original album with a CD version...

* Or maybe it should be a 'c'.
**Or maybe it should be a 'k'. Who knows?

7 comments:

Merlin said...

Is Bran any relation to Brian?

1 i z said...

or even Bryan?

Can I recommend Ryan Adams as an alternative? Start with his Gold album to get a taste.

As for Brokeback Mountain, maybe this
30 second re-enactment with bunnies will help?

Fat Roland said...

'c'

Sarah said...

Yes, Bryan.

[Plot spoiler... if there's anyone left who hasn't watched Brokeback Mountain already...]

I spent most of the evening feeling really quite sad about Brokeback Mountain. If Ennis had been prepared to go and live with Jack, which he did really want to, then Jack wouldn't have got kicked to death. Not that he should be held responsible for that in any way, but it just seemed so wrong that they didn't get to do what they wanted, and Jack had all those dreams which he never got to carry out.

And people should be able to love who they choose to love without being killed for it.

I've read a few things about the Holocaust recently. People just got taken away and killed for no reason. We all know it, but every so often it strikes me again as a devastating thing.

Mary Beth said...

It's a "c" I think. I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain yet. It's on the short list, but it's taken me a long time to get through the short list.

9/10ths Full of Penguins said...

I think its 'C', but I've always liked 'K' more.

In general, K is better letter than C.

I saw Brokeback again recently.
*Whispers*
I don't think its as good as everybody says.

I love that bunny re-enactment...

Sarah said...

I loved the bunny re-enactment too. It was pretty impressively the whole film with rabbits.

I was talking to someone at work about it and he said he didn't like it because it had no heart. Or possibly soul. I obviously wasn't paying enough attention.

Anyway, he said he never really cared about the characters. And he couldn't understand anything Heath Ledger said for most of the film.