Friday, June 01, 2007

Win-win-ish

I have an interview for a job on Friday. It's a temporary housing officer job in central Manchester. I'd like it because:
  • It's more responsibility and a definite career progression
  • It's more money
  • I would get to do rent arrears and lettings as well as tenancy issues, which would be very interesting

I'm not sure about it because:

  • I'd be leaving a permanent post for an up-to-12-months post. Housing is a fairly buyant sector, but I am enjoying my new-found job security!
  • I'd like to start doing my professional qualifications, but I can't see the new company paying for that when I'd only be there 12 months or so
  • I really like the people I work with. Working with good people is not something to take lightly
  • We'd have to buy another car which we can't really afford

I wouldn't want you to think I can't make decisions on my own, but I would be interested in what you think.

5 comments:

Fat Roland said...

The can't-afford-car comment seems to suggest you'd be worse off, even though you have 'more money' on your positive list.

Which is it to be? Will you be better or worse off?

If you want to pursue qualifications, would this be a better way of moving up the career ladder rather than this job, which seems to excluse that?

Am I answering your questions with questions?

Merlin said...

Job security is relative. So many things can happen to change it. Me, I look for the next challenge. If you can find the cahllenge where you are then fine. But if there is no challenge then hunt for it. Challenge keeps us alive.

Sarah said...

I think, overall, we'd be a bit better off, and would have another car/motorbike, but it's a big financial outlay when we're also trying to buy a house. I'm also a bit worried that getting a new job before the mortgage is finished could affect getting the mortgage - I'm not prepared to lost the house just to get a better job.

I would like the challenge, but I've had 12 month jobs before and it's pretty rubbish to get to about 9 months and feel insecure. I suppose a few one-year jobs in various ompanies would give me a lot of experience.

The qualifications take 2 or 3 years (depending on whether you want to do the Masters dissertation, which I probably would). The company asks you to sign to say you'll say for 4 years after finishing, or else you have to pay the money back. No matter how much I love the company and people, I can't imagine staying for 7 more years...

I could do the qualifications by distance learning but it would cost £1800 a year, which we really can't afford at the moment along with house and motorbike! Perhaps the new company would agree to pay for the first year of studying. It's worth asking.

Anonymous said...

Well your current mortgage was granted on the basis that you had a permanent job on your current income.. a 12 month job even on a higher salary might not cut it - you'd have to ask your lender (and it's a good idea to ask before making the decision rather than have them change their minds at the last minute and you lose deposits etc.).

Sarah said...

I had the interview and I still don't know what I want to do. They said they would let me know by Tuesday, which means they'll decide and offer the job on Monday and then ring everyone else on Thursday.

I think I did well, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had interviewed someone with more experience than me...