Saturday, June 10, 2006

Tired and emotional

but not in the Greenbelt sense...

I am very tired - it's been a difficult week for various reasons (yes, I choose to take holiday from work to concide with life being rubbish) and I haven't slept very well due to the heat. So I am very tired and not looking forward to getting back to work on Tuesday.

I'm feeling a little disillusioned about finding a new job at the moment - I've applied for a few admin/events management jobs and have either not heard anything or been turned down (again this morning). A lot of jobs I'm interested in have asked for a full UK driving license, which is problematic beacuse I can't afford to learn until I get a full-time job, but can't get a full-time job I want without a driving license. Also, I don't really want to be a one-car family, never mind two cars.

I went to a careers fair on Wednesday which was helpful. I'm considering a career in social housing and spoke to a few different organisations. I think I'd like to work for a housing association, starting in a customer-facing role then working towards a career in regeneration. Lack of housing experience is not an insurmountable problem but my research suggests that I will, in the not-too-distant future, need to return to study to get professional qualifications. I bet you can imagine my joy at the thought of that!

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Dear Sarah

I hope this all works out for you. I have found some recent posts (re: vocation) on this blog very interesting and helpful:

www.goodinparts.blogspot.com

I have known three people who have worked for Housing Associations and have had personal dealings with a housing association myself. Therefore I have some anecdotes that might be of interest to you...?

Ruth

Fat Roland said...

I know you feel a bit BLEEEUGH with it all, but I admire the way you are thinking about your future, organising your ideas and playing around with the pros and cons.

Seriously.

As for my future career, I am still being indecisive and probably a little scared. Had the the careers fair had a rollercoaster and candy floss, I probably would have gone.

Sarah said...

Don't you hate it when you write a comment and the internet eats it? Particularly when commenting on your own blog?

No rollercoasters at the careers fair, but I saw some candyfloss in Rusholme today and thought of you, Eyan. However,I went to a talk on careers in housing and it was quite entertaining. The presenter kept making 'funny' comments and interrupting people she was interviewing, then finished by performing a song she had written herself. Not very professional but quite amusing.

Anecdotes would be great! I love reading your blog, Ruth.