Saturday, May 12, 2007

Decisions, decisions and... more decisions!

We got our survey back yesterday. It made me feel quite anxious - a big list of urgent things and things which could cause problems and things which we should get investigated further... I am repeatedly assured by most people that surveyors have to tell you everything that could possibly go wrong, to avoid us suing their ass later. I don't find this helpful - I'd rather know what is a real issue and what I should worry about, and what is just pretty normal.

The main issue (apart from the whole house needing repointing and the absolute necessity of a building contractor taking up all the floorboard. Apparently) is that the valuation of the house is about £6000 less than our offer. I assume the mortgage company will only lend us the valuation. So either the vendor will have to accept the lower offer, or we'll have to find a new house and they'll have to find a new buyer. I can't imagine they'll be that keen to go through all the viewings and offer stage again, especially as the next surveyor will presumably say the same thing.

As long as I'm right, it means we'll save money on our mortgage...

6 comments:

Fat Roland said...

Surveys are meant to be horrific. You wont need to do lots of the stuff they say. Don't worry.

You may need to get some work done however. The question you need to ask yourself when looking at each bit of the survey is: "will it let in water". Seriously. If there's a medium-term danger of water getting into the house (roofing, pointing, windows, damp-course, walls not falling down), then get the work done.

It's simpler than you think. And also horrific. All at the same time.

Fat Roland said...

By the way, if your bloody house falls down, I never wrote that reply, it was my evil twin brother.

Anonymous said...

The surveyor said our toilet leaked - it doesn't. I think he just assumed it did because someone had put a drip try under it to catch the condensation that collects there.

I don't think we've done a single thing the surveyor pointed out. Hmmm, maybe I need to go and read the survey again :-(.

Anonymous said...

I found this http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/RyGgcoCFy3xDeRAYtM8AvdXJVboto-4kxI/HAHTpage/search.HsKeywordSuggestion.whereNext?query=3013&word=HOUSING+MANAGEMENT&single=N and thought of you!

Merlin said...

Surveys are the work of the devil. Once you ahve your heart set on the dream house they come along and shatter your hopes. Having bought too many houses in too short a time I can't actually offer any sensible advice, apart from if there is no mention of the plague or earthquake faults then it probably isn't as bad as it seems. However there is an inversely proportional rule to use, the older the house is then the less likely the surveyors dire predictions of the house falling down are correct.

Mary Beth said...

I hope it all works out for you! I sure love that house!