Monday, May 14, 2007

TRAUMA!!!!!!!

(For those of you thinking 'when will she shut up? Everyone buys a house, it's not such a big deal', it's probably best to look away now - and come back in about 6 months)

The survey said that there was some bulging and cracking of the masonry due to old settlement of the building and thermal or moisture problems, which is not considered to be significant. Apparently a lot of insurance companies do consider this to be significant. Which means we get driected to the 'special risk' departments. One insurance company also said we're in a 'moderate subsidence' area. This could mean higher premiums, expensive work to do and difficulty selling in the future.

The surveyor also said that the rear wall had been rebuilt in cavity brick. My dad said that you don't just rebuild a wall in cavity brick for the sake of cavity brick, so it seems a bit suspicious. My parents think that we should walk away, as we don't have any money to chuck at a house.

I think I love the house.

I feel traumatised.

10 comments:

Merlin said...

Hmmm. You ahve amssives amounts of sympathy from me. Anyone who hasn't tried to buy a house can't begin to imagine the trauma. It is horrible. And as someone who has ended up rejecting more houses than buying them I really can't be much help. I think it comes down to gut feeling. But if the insurance company is baulking then it may be time to take a hint I am afraid.

Fat Roland said...

Hmmm, it sounds to me the insurance company is just trying to screw you for more money.

I have a bulging wall. My insurance company is not bothered. I know I'll need to get the work done at some point, but, as your report says, it's not significant.

Fat Roland said...

Sorry, didn't mean to echo Merlin's "hmmm". It's a great way to start a reply though.

Anonymous said...

:-(

1 i z said...

much sympathy from here too

no useful advice though I'm afraid

Stuart said...

Sorry wish I could be of help! Buying house is horrible but to echo others i'm afraid its your call. Good luck.

Ruth said...

I don't know anything about bulging walls or anything, but just want to give 'big hugs' and say that you WILL end up living in a house that you love. It WILL work out - of that there is no doubt. (Why does buying a house ALWAYS have to be soooo stressful? We once spent a grand on a survey and then the seller pulled out, and things like that....)

Sarah said...

I think buying a new house would be less stressful. I know they don't finish them on time, which makes things complicated. But there's no faults and no repairs and no pulling out at the last minute. Trouble is, I don't really like new houses.

Good news is that the mortgage company have said that, subject to the three reports (count them - a timber report, a damp report and a roofing* report!) they've asked for, they'll lend us the valuation price plus an extra £1000 once we've done essential repairs. Which suggests that they think there's only £1,000 or so of work needs doing. Heartening...

*Can anyone recommend a roofing contractor?

Stuart said...

yes I know a good roofing contractor, in wythenshawe i'll pass his details through mmmmmm err either janet s or 1iz let me know which would be easier!

Sarah said...

Can you email me? sarahstuart25 [at] googlemail dot com

Otherwise probably Janet, though I haven't seen her for ages.

I've had my google email address for about 9 months now and it's been fine. No spam. Suddenly it's gone spam-crazy! I think I must have thrown it around just a little too recklessly when investigating stuff to buy a house...