Thursday, May 03, 2007

Decisions, decisions

This house-buying malarkey seems to require a lot of decision-making. And I mean beyond "how much can we afford?" and "shall we buy this house?".

Choosing a solicitor was frightening enough. Then the solicitor asked us to decide whether we wanted to own the house completely jointly or own a specific share. Not too tricky as our relationship is fairly straightforward - no children from previous marriages or different amounts of capital.

And now we have to think about mortgage protection - should we pay a reasonably large amount of money for peace of mind, or face being evicted on the off-chance that something terrible happens?

This whole business seems to be about looking for the worst possible situation and assuming it could happen.

Cheerful, eh?

4 comments:

Merlin said...

No one said it was easy

RedHillian said...

Hugs.

Loads of people I know are buying houses at the moment, I hope yours falls into place nicely, like some are starting to do now.

Are you going to have a housewarming party??

Sarah said...

Any idea whether it's normal practice to give the vendor's estate agent a copy of the survey? She's asked for one, I don't know if this is normal or a bit cheeky.

Yes, housewarming party, definitely. Matt wants to have one which isn't combined with my birthday party for once, and that does seem fair. Dull, but fair...

Sarah said...

I'm clearly incapable of reading.

The estate agent askedme to LET HER KNOW when I had the results of the survey. Not pulling a fast one then. I shouldn't be allowed on a computer when I'm tired.